Thursday, December 3, 2009

How social are you?

How much are you using Facebook, or Twitter or Linked In?
Many people comment on my Social networking 'updates' and have said how much they enjoy the updates and how much they look forward to reading what I have to say. It is a simple solution: Engagement. Offer something interesting, interactive, current and demonstrates more about you and your brand.

Who cares about updates that state "I'm going to the Dentist", or "Sitting in traffic jam".
But what happens if you would have written:
"I wonder what color tooth brush my Dentist will send home with me today".

Or,
"Does anyone in Mytown know what's the hold up on Spooner street?"

These kinds of updates offer more insight on what you are thinking and, in these cases, will encourage others to join the conversation.

A friend of mine asked "How much time do you spend on Social Media sites each week?" My response; at least 2 hours a week, Monday to Friday.

Why? Because I am engaged to what other people have to offer. I find myself logging in several times a day and getting a quick update on what my friends are doing and what others are talking about.

How much is too much?
Social Media can be addicting. There is such a thing as being 'too' plugged in to sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
If you can update your Facebook status with something engaging at least once a day, you are doing well.
If you can update your Twitter account with an engaging Tweet at least twice a day, you are doing well.
If you are updating your accounts more frequently, I applaud you. Just keep them engaging.
Where you lose the connection with your social network is when you let your accounts go stale; no updates, no comments, no interest. Your account will still remain active however you will notice that others will not be paying much attention to you anymore.

The thing to remember, while sites like Facebook have been around for several years, there are people who are just now jumping on to that social networking train. Sometimes we forget to look after our new social friends. Invite them in to your social network, introduce them to the other 'cool kids' in your group. Who knows - they might know other interesting and social people that you will want to know.

Isn't that what being social is all about?

-Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment